Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Keeper of My Soul By Naomi Johnson

 Keeper of My Soul by Naomi Johnson



The day drags by, and time moves slow,
but I had no idea I would be in a place
where death stares me in the face.
With a surprise, I became a victim of a police
chase that appeared before my eyes.
Tragedy tried to claim my life as I tried to live
by putting up a fight.

All of a sudden, pain and shock invaded, taking
control of my body, a form of hypnosis seeps into
my mind leaving me in a mental bind.
Fear then stepped in playing tricks with my
heart making me think that it’s going to stop
and mentally tear me apart.
The words I used were no longer there because
my voice was gone, and I did not know if I could
still live on.

Damaged nerves involuntarily moved my leg,
 and a herniated disc puts me at fatal risk.
As muscle spasms shoot to my brain,
tears fall down like rain.
My feet became stiff
but my faith did not shift.

In spite of the entire trauma, I hear him speaking to
my spirit with comfort and peace
to assure that this burden will soon decease.
So, my heavenly father brought me through;
I was grateful and did not know what to do.
But right away I knew that he was a keeper of my
soul, and it was not my time to go.



This poem was penned in the aftermath of my near-death encounter on Wednesday, July 18, 2007, a day marked by a high-speed police chase involving a stolen car in Bloomfield, New Jersey. The repercussions of this pursuit left me not only disabled but also unemployed. Regrettably, the Bloomfield, NJ police escaped accountability for their role in my disability.

Compounding the injustice, my pursuit of justice was hindered by a legal system tainted with racism. My appointed attorney, driven by a personal relationship with the police department, refrained from holding them accountable. Shockingly, a lawyer from the law firm revealed that the head attorney dissuaded pursuing action against the police, suggesting that, as a black individual, I would be content with a modest settlement from suing my insurance company.

A hired attorney, disheartened by the dishonest practices of the law firm, disclosed that he departed because he could not collaborate with an entity harboring discriminatory sentiments towards black individuals, despite outward pretenses of acceptance.

In the early 2000s, a law was enacted in New Jersey, expressly prohibiting police pursuits due to the inherent danger they pose to innocent pedestrians, motorists, and citizens. According to the new protocol, law enforcement was mandated to contact the neighboring town where the suspect was heading, effectively preventing high-speed pursuits. However, regrettably, the Bloomfield police defied this law and failed to adhere to the established state protocol.

Compounding this disregard for safety, a disability judge advised me to pursue legal action against the Bloomfield police department. The judge emphasized that chasing suspects was not only against the law but also directly contradicted established safety measures, placing both the public and individuals involved in these pursuits at unnecessary risk.

It's disheartening to hear your perception of the legal profession in New Jersey. While there may be individuals who engage in unethical practices, it's essential to acknowledge that the legal community, like any other, consists of a diverse range of professionals. If you've had negative experiences, it might be beneficial to seek recommendations or carefully research attorneys to find those who prioritize integrity and ethical conduct in their work. Engaging with reputable legal professionals can significantly impact the outcome of your legal matters.


Here is the video of the police chase.




No comments:

Post a Comment